Next, list what kind of home you'd like and where you want to live. Be specific. Separate the "must haves" from the "want to haves." Think of zeroing in on a target, going from the general to the specific.
- community: Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody (north, south, east, or west side)
- how far you’d be willing to expand your search: to Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Burnaby or south of the Fraser River
- how many minutes you might be willing to commute to work in exchange for affordability
- neighbourhood (older and settled or sparkling new; a particular school’s catchment area; recreational facilities)
- other community services such as transportation, day care, library, stores, entertainment.
Think about home styles:
- house, townhome, or condo?
- how much space do you need?
- does your situation require a one-level home, or are stairs acceptable?
Consider the size and kind of property. Do you want a newer home, or maybe an older one to fix up? Think about how long you expect to live in this particular home.